Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Weeding- Reference section

  This year I weeded my Reference sections  because I was looking for Makerspace room for LittleBits, and some other  items our district purchased. 
    I left the Encyclopedias even tho no one uses them for two reason: I think all libraries should have at least one set for quick look up, and 2) I like to do an activity each year where groups of students work together  to see who can find answers the questions- the inherent or an Encyclopedia. ( More details on this in another post)
   I moved on to look at the general books. With 4 books of costumes/ uniforms/ dress, I  got ride of all but one.  The same with Science Encyclopedias- I saved one - the newest . ( All though not completely up to date) The other sets I offered to the Science teachers , That is pretty much what did in each subject areas.
   I looked at copyright date, condition and scope. Some of the items I knew would never be used I also eliminated.
  I really dislike weeding because I feel there is value in most items I did weed items that were completely out of date( Mostly Science)  Most of my teachers are happy to take the items  for their classroom libraries. I ended up with shelving for my Makerspace so I was pleased with the process.
Check out more tips on weeding in The Organized Librarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment